Skip to main content

Marines Errant Space Marines

"The Traitor and the Xenos are many, and we are few. I know what you are thinking brother, they stand not a chance against us". Captain Viriatos, 1st company, Marines Errant Adeptus Astartes.


A change of direction from my Gaelic Irish project. I wanted to show off my Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine chapter. I began my hobbying in the 1990's as a 10 year old with Games Workshop's Fantasy, Necromunda and 40,000 games. I collected and played many armies, but never had the chance to do a Space Marine chapter. A number of mo ths ago I started a new army. So here are the Canon chapter, the Marines Errant.


The Marines Errant are a successor of a successor chapter, which in the lore is not that common. Their predecessor chapter are the Eagle Warriors who are a second founding chapter of the Ultramarines. They are a fleet based crusading chapter with a notable history, particularly their involvement in the Badab war. In future posts I will go into more lore detail, in particular what elements of the lore I have used to influence the look, feel and composition of my force. At the moment I have exclusively Primaris except for a drop pod and two Horus Heresy Praetor resin models(middle picture above).  



Above are my converted Intercessors. They can represent Sternguard, or 1st Company veterans. This force is not being put together with tabletop play in mind, but rather to be thematic and representative of what I think a Marines Errant force should look like. I will as already mentioned go deeper into this theme and the lore in a future post. For now though, I wanted to show some of the very first miniatures I have painted in fifteen years.

This squad were the first additions. Indeed, the first miniatures I have done in fifteen years. The bases on the first few were stock bases before I bought the necromunda bases the majority of the force are on. I will swap these out at some stage. It took me a few figures to get the muscle memory back and balance back and this can be seen in the final finish between the individual models.


The first of my three Aggressors painted up well I think. I was initially wary of the plethora of new miniatures Games Workshop has brought out, particularly the complete change of aesthetic as well as tabletop impact of them, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed painting this one, even if they have a ridiculous name!



Finally we come to the humble drop pod. It fits well with the theme of a fleet based crusading chapter, although given that Primaris miniatures cannot use it on tabletop means that in gaming terms it is redundant. I got it for a steal on ebay, fixed it up and enjoyed actually painting it, which in itself makes a it worth the addition. It is a great centre piece for thematic display purposes and if I ever do add non Primaris squads it may even be useful when I get around to playing.

Thats all I have for the moment from the Emperors finest. I will be back soon with more Mari es Errant in future posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isles Gallowglass

Hello all, I received some Isles Gallowglass and command a few months back. I finally got around to painting the fitst group. At the time of ordering one set of Gallowglass as well as the second command set were unavailable on the site which was a shame. I will order them in the future im sure. I am really fond of these and they were a joy to paint. They are slighter than the Perry Gallowglass, although not overly so. Their dress and armament is I think of an earlier period than mid to late 16th Century, however should be fine for earlier 16th Century force compositions( my plan is to build both a Gaelic and Tudor force capable of fielding Nine Years war forces as well as the fifty odd years or so before hand). I got along with these  a few of the Antediluvian Highland bowmen which I will be using as Redshanks with bows, even if they have swords and axes slung across their backs....

Reinforcements

It has been a hectic Christmas and new year period. I did manage however aside from some fierce work/family multi tasking to get in some Ale drinking and conversion work. I have however been unfaithful to my 16th century project and cheated on them with some late war Germans. It has become more than a fling though, and I am well on the way putting together an entire Heer division with plenty of Fallshirmjager, SS and Volks Grenadier units mixed in too! Hobby infidelity aside, here are my latest conversion additions for my Irish. Most of the shot are Perry, some really very nice sculpts, with the exception of the guy in the back with the blue jacket who is a Eureka Portuguese Colonial conversion. All the pikemen are Eureka conversions. The painted one has had a Leine added with greenstuff.

It has been a while, COVID-19.

Greetings all. For those of you, friends etc who know me personally and follow this blog you will already know that due to my job as a frontline Health care worker I have been extremely busy working 36 hour and even 72 hour frontline shifts. For those of you in Internet land, that is why I have not had the chance to continue my current projects. I have managed to paint up my first few WW2 American Airborne from Warlord. I will eventually get around to the huge pile of Redshanks and Galloglaigh on my table. In the meantime here are those Americans.